Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Loss of taste
SGK45 posted:
My husband recently had gum surgery for receding gums and has noticed a significant decrease/change in taste. Is this related to the surgery - it's been about 5 months since the surgery.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi SGK45,

I am sorry that your husband has been having a decrease/change in his taste sensation. Although I cannot diagnose online I can tell you that the likelihood of the decrease/change in taste is probably not due to his surgery as there are no taste buds on the gum tissue.

Unfortunately there is very little written about taste disturbances other than that they are often associated with changes in ability to smell as well.If your husband has not seen an Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) doctor you might want to have him make an appointment for an assessment.

The other possibility is to contact a dental school near you, you can look at the American Dental Educators Association website for specific school locations near you, and ask if they are doing any clinical research on taste disturbances or if they have a dentist in the faculty who is knowledgeable about the subject.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Bone loss in gums
If you are experiencing bone loss in the gums and their is no pathology, What can be done to stop bone loss. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website