Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dental Implants and exercise
Tomato05 posted:
I just received two dental implants today (upper jaw). I was wondering how soon I can exercise after the procedure.

My exercise program consists mainly of jogging, as well as walking on an incline (both on the treadmill), and strength training/weight lifting.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Tomato05:

By now, any kind of discomfort that you might be having from the surgery should dissipate.

Most times, I do advise my patients to stay away from strenuous exercise in the day following a surgery. it is just because when you exercise intensely the capillaries, small blood vessels, in the mouth enlarge to allow for better blood flow. This results in the taste of blood in your mouth and unnecessary bleeding from the surgical site.
If all you had is two implants and the surgery was routine, you should be totally OK to work out.

Of course, the best person to ask and I highly recommend that you do, is your dentist, since he/she knows all the circumstances of your situation.

Best of luck with your implants and restorations.

Dr. Zev Kaufman

Tomato05 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Thank you for the advice, dr. Kaufman. I am now back to exercising.

I have severe osteoporosis, so I may be at more risk of failure with the implants. However, I have had a few implants already, and so far they've all been a success.

The dentist tends to wait for longer periods with me before the restoration, than with "non-osteoporotic" patients.

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to Tomato05's response:
Happy you are doing fine.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website