Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
gum piece hanging over cracked wisdom tooth
jayspencer posted:
Hi, I'm new here and I'm wondering about a problem I'm currently having. I've had a broken wisdom tooth for awhile and now there's a piece of gum hanging off of it like it's ready to fall off. What should I make of this? Is it serious? Will it be a problem if the gum piece comes off? I'm just wondering about these things and what to do before I see a doctor.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Jayspencer:

This is not a problem, as long as it does not hurt you right away. It is common for the back gum tissue to grow over a wisdom tooth, when the space in the back of the mouth is limited. in your case, the fracture actually allows the tissue to "fall" right into it.

You should go and see an oral surgeon as soon as possible and remove the wisdom tooth. It serves you no purpose and will only create problems when the decay present reaches the "nerve" and causes you severe pain.

Until then, brush the area well and try to "get in" under the tissue.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

An_250145 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Dr Zev -
Question for you? I also have a broken wisdom tooth. Lower, right. The two molars in front of it were taken years ago. The wisdom tooth served as my sole surviving molar on that side - it had shifted itself forward to "move into" the space. It has fractured and broken off (no pain involved) - and my gum is encasing the area. (still no pain, I'm particular about keeping it clean) - what options do I have when I have this removed? Should I consider dentures at this point?

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website