Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
gum discoloration
An_246774 posted:
my spouse has a recently developed brown spot on her gum, just above one tooth. it started out very small and is now about the area of a pinky nail. its not raised or open, just brown where the rest of the gum is pink as usual. what might this be? she is 61 and generally in good health--as far as we know.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello,

It's really not possible to diagnose something over the internet and since this is growing in size, it does sound like it's time for your spouse to see a dentist to start exploring answers.

Let us know what they find out and if you have any further questions after that visit.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

jdb1798 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Her new dentist saw it and immediately had her see a dental surgeon who has now biopsied the spot. We will get results the end of next week.

The dentist's assistant was calling it a lesion but it doesn't appear to be that, but rather looks like a large freckle, not raised or open. I will let you know the outcome of the biopsy for the benefit of others though, of course I know, you can't diagnose on the internet.

My original question came from a desire to have a better sense of the possibilities. When the biopsy was performed the dental surgeon said he was pretty sure it wasn't anything to worry about, but the original dentist was concerned it could be myeloma.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jdb1798's response:
Thank you for the update and I'm glad she's getting it thoroughly looked at now.

I appreciate you returning and keeping us updated because, as you say, it could benefit others who look in with a similar situation.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

jdb1798 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Biopsy is back. "Nothing to worry about". It's a melanotic macule ( the mouth equivalent of a freckle or brown pigmented patch of the skin.) Usually, we are told, these don't pop up one at a time so the docs were concerned. But apparently it does happen occasionally that one and only one appears---but they did want to be sure it wan't melanoma. Relief over here. Thanks for your support.

The doc had said that if it was nothing he'd call earlier in the week so you can imagine as the hour for the follow-up appointment approached we were preparing for the worst (as best one can). He said the biopsy results came in late yesterday afternoon and he "just figured" he'd see us today so no problem.... Well, we didn't sleep well but...

In any event, it's a new day.

Peace and good health to all!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jdb1798's response:
I'm soooooooooo glad it was good news!

I can well imagine how good both of you are going to sleep tonight.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi jbd1798,

I am so pleased that you received a benign diagnosis! Your dentist was completely correct in requesting a biopsy and I applaud the swiftness of both the dentist and surgeon!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Bone loss in gums
If you are experiencing bone loss in the gums and their is no pathology, What can be done to stop bone loss. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website