Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
My ruined teeth are destroying my life
An_246917 posted:
I am about to turn 52 years old and I am a female. I had been on so much medication in the past and one by one my teeth just broke off,almost all of them. Some came out from the roots,others left the base of the tooth behind. Not only is this a miserably painful problem as my gums get infected at least twice a month,it has destroyed my self esteem and confidence. Between the cost of removing the few that remain and the roots from the others I have no chance of ever affording to get dentures. I rarely ever leave my house now and never look in the mirror. Are there resources available other than the RAM clinic to help me? I can't manage the 12 hours waiting time in a parking lot for them due to other illness. And also more importantly,what health other health problems can this cause?

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear An_246917:

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. However, there is help. I do not know where you live, however, many hospitals have a dental department which can attend to your needs. A local dental school will do as well. If you are truly needy, Medicaid is the government program which can assist you in paying for dental work. The dental schools and hospitals will be more than happy to help you file for benefits, and get the work done for you.

There are also some dentists who take Medicaid as payment, but I recommend that you go and see a dentist is a hospital or a dental school, since they are interested in learning and are supervised by an attending dentist. This way you are guaranteed a reasonable standard of work.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

An_247378 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Dr. Kaufman I have the SAME problem with my teeth. All but six teeth are broken off down to the gum line.
Medicare AND Medicaid WILL NOT cover any tooth or gum care. It is excluded from all benefits by law.
I am also two miles from The University of Tennessee. Although they claim to have a dental school, it is no longer in operation for the public.
IS THERE ANY RESEARCH FACILITY in this area?
Clyndamyacin IS NOT going to cure the heart valve or blood sepsis after rounds of chemotherapy and radiation treatment.
I'm treated like a sub-human, ONLY because I seem too stingy for "vanity" costs. IT'S HEALTH.
ISN'T the ADA becoming ready to have their YEARLY CONVENTION?
ANYTHING ANY ONE CAN OFFER would be such a blessing. Blind luck will not save lives. Thank You.

mileyjo09 replied to An_247378's response:
247378: Medicaid now has dental benefits to its insurance as of October 2011. I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck and best wishes.

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to mileyjo09's response:
Medicaid does have dental benefits and they are basic "safety net care". They will pay for the extraction of the teeth and basic dentures. You just have to find a dentist or a clinic in your area that accepts Medicaid as payment.

I am so sorry that this is all that I can tell you over this limited forum.

julieohio replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
My teeth are completely ruined but I live in MO there is a place called grace hill they work on a sliding scale and will take payments the lady i heard this from just had 3 teeth pulled for 35.00 they are going to give her a bridge and veneer the rest of her teeth for 475.00 im going to check it out this week maybe they have something like this where you live

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website