Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
swollen bleeding gums
An_247126 posted:
I am 56 am very good with my oral hygiene. I take requip for restless leg symdrome and bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. I am having consistently swollen gums and bleeding. My dentist is concerned with bone loss in the back bottom left teeth. I want to stop this. How and what can I do?

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi An_247126,

I am sorry to hear you have been having bleeding gingiva (gums). You did not mention if the bleeding was spontaneous or if it occurred while you were brushing your teeth. If you could get back to me on that it would be helpful.

Typically bleeding gums are associated with gingivitis - inflammation of the gums without involvement of the bone - or periodontal disease which usually presents as gingivitis with associated bone loss.

You mentioned that you have good oral hygiene so I am assuming that you have been seeing your dentist regularly over the years. This means that you probably have a series of X-rays from past years. If you have not had a recent set you should consider having a full mouth series of X-rays taken now so your dentist can compare your current bone level to years past.

I would also consider having a consultation with a periodontist for a second opinion. Bring copies of your current and past X-rays for the periodontist to look at as well.

If the bleeding is not tooth related or it does not get better following dental hygiene treatment or periodontal treatment you should consider having a biopsy taken to get a diagnosis and confirm that the bleeding is a local problem confined to the mouth alone.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

ajhart25 replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
I was reading your post and would like to ask a few more questions. I started having swollen,bleeding gums 5 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. The OB was not concerned, went several times to the dentist (I am very oral hygenic). They have never addresses it even though I have asked(all they do say is to floss daily). I have multiple food allergies, hypothyroidism, and sleep apnea. My gums bleed all the time, to the point I am always checking. They also stay swollen, but here is the funny part. It is only my top four and bottom four at the front of my mouth. I do have all of my wisdom teeth, and I do have mineral loss do to pregnancys. I do use mineral rinse. I am not over weight and eat healthy. I am seeking another dentists opinion and hope to receive some kind of help. What are your thoughts?

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website