Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Advice about change in dental insurance service
OliverOnions posted:
This is possibly a silly question.
I made a change in my dental insurance so that I would get more coverage, if that is the way to put it, and I changed the dental facility that I would be receiving care for because the current dentist I am seeing, Doctor M, doesn't accept that dental plan. But just after I made this change I visited Doctor M to get my teeth cleaned, tell him where I need to forward my medical files, and I found I need to replace two fillings. So I made an appointment with him to do this.
I need to tell my insurance provider that for the present I need to switch my dentist that I receive care from back to Doctor M so I can use my insurance when I see him. How do I ask this without sounding like someone who doesn't think ahead? I knew something was wrong with my teeth -- I could see and feel it -- but it wasn't until the cleaning and x-rays were over that I realized I should have found out the results of this visit, then had my problems taken care of, then switched doctors.
I apologize if this does not quite make sense. If it doesn't I'll try to explain it better.
Thanks for your help.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear OliverOnions:

what you have to do is to call your dental insurance provider and tell them just that. Neither dentist can bill with false dates on the claim forms. If you already did the work while the insurance coverage was switched, the old provider will not pay for the work. The new provider will probably not pay either, since you weren't on it long enough.

You can ask the billing person in your dentist's office if what you want is possible. This is not a question of looking silly, It is only a question of what is legal under your insurance contract.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website