Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Jaw Dislocation
nataliafalkowski posted:
My jaw has been dislocated for as long as I can remember. It pops out when I open my mouth or shift my jaw from side to side or put pressure on my jawbones. Occasionally, my jaw gets stuck, and becomes very painful. Today, I accidently opened my mouth very wide very quickly, and my jaw got stuck. It was very painful and I had to push it back in place. It was bearable pain, but I'm not sure if it should be a concern. I have no problems closing my mouth. Should I see a doctor? What would the procedure include to fix my jaw?

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear nataliafalkowski:

What you are describing is a called "subluxation of the joint". It means that your joint can dislocate and relocate back into place.
It is uncomfortable and not pleasant to have, yet there is not much that can be done. You might want to consult with an oral surgeon and have the joint imaged to make sure that there are no issues structurally, yet, if the dislocation is due to laxity of the joint, there is not much that can be done.

www.aaoms.org will have a link to an oral surgeon near you.
Just like a shoulder, or a knee that can be dislocated, be careful in your daily life and you should be OK.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website