Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Jaw Dislocation
    nataliafalkowski posted:
    My jaw has been dislocated for as long as I can remember. It pops out when I open my mouth or shift my jaw from side to side or put pressure on my jawbones. Occasionally, my jaw gets stuck, and becomes very painful. Today, I accidently opened my mouth very wide very quickly, and my jaw got stuck. It was very painful and I had to push it back in place. It was bearable pain, but I'm not sure if it should be a concern. I have no problems closing my mouth. Should I see a doctor? What would the procedure include to fix my jaw?
    Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
    Dear nataliafalkowski:

    What you are describing is a called "subluxation of the joint". It means that your joint can dislocate and relocate back into place.
    It is uncomfortable and not pleasant to have, yet there is not much that can be done. You might want to consult with an oral surgeon and have the joint imaged to make sure that there are no issues structurally, yet, if the dislocation is due to laxity of the joint, there is not much that can be done. will have a link to an oral surgeon near you.
    Just like a shoulder, or a knee that can be dislocated, be careful in your daily life and you should be OK.

    Best of luck,
    Dr. Zev Kaufman

    Helpful Tips

    sinus trouble in my teeth
    need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 19 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website