Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Brittle Teeth
An_247308 posted:
Within the last 4 weeks I have cracked 3 teeth. I am trying to figure out what could bee causing this apparently sudden change. I suspect it has to do with my recent diagnosis with PCOS and some of the changes I have made as a result. I will try to include all of the parts of my life that have changed lately and that I know can affect bones, teeth, or nails, as well as my observations of my bones, teeth and nails.

I am 37 yo, diagnosed with PCOS about 3 or 4 months ago. Until then, I have always had many cavities, but nothing more than that. I started taking Metformin and Canidex (Yeast cleaser) since my diagnosis. I did not get the GI problems that are common with metformin, but I have lost 25 lbs since starting it (partially from reducing my alcohol consumption from 6 to 10 beers every night to 4 beers once a week).

I have been taking Citrical for a few years.

I had my first and only child 4 years ago. I did not notice much change in my hair or nails with my pregnancy as many women report.

I have alway had and still have long natural fingernails. They are strong but pliable (they bend and flex when pushed hard without breaking).

This is all that I can think of at the moment. Any ideas what could be causing the sudden apparent brittleness of my teeth?

Thank you.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear An_247308:

The only advise that I can give you is to go and see your dentist and get a proper examination and diagnosis. There are several factors, such as an unhealthy life style, medications etc. that can contribute to tooth decay and fracture of the teeth.

This has to be examined by your dentist.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website