Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Considering Veneers
Polfsky posted:
My teeth are heavily stained from tetracycline from my mom's pregnancy. The color is so dark that even Zoom whitening barely made any difference.

For a long, long time, I have been hesitant to do veneers because the surface of my real teeth has to be scrape off and I'm afraid my real teeth would be weakened. Also I heard that I would have to be careful with what I eat (i.e. can't bite on a whole apple or chew on tough meat) because the veneers may fall off.

But now I'm becoming more and more conscious of my appearance and my smile (I tend to smile with my mouth closed).

What would you recommend? I'd appreciate your advice.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Polfsky:

The best choice in your situation IS porcelain laminate veneers.
I would recommend going to a Prosthodontist, who is the expert in this area.

Many general/family/cosmetic dentists can do wonderful work for you, but you have to be careful, since you are not in position to evaluate the quality of the work.

Going to a Prosthodontist increases the chances of having excellent work done, with the proper materials for your situation.

Discuss with the Prosthodontist the type of material he/she uses for the veneers. Some are better than others in masking and opaquing the discolored teeth.

www.gotoapro.org will have a link to a prosthodontist near you.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Polfsky replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Thank you so much, Dr. Zeb. I'll check out the link.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website