Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Gum or teeth tighening
An_247521 posted:
I ve experienced tightening gum and feeling slightly pain in right side of both teeth and cheek. I got frequently right side nose running and had taken ibuprofen in the morning and night. I need to know what exact problem is that? I m concerned about visiting dentist without insurance and my being unemployed. I need your advice.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Gabjac,

How long has this been going on?
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi An_247521,

I am sorry to hear you have been having pain. Although I cannot diagnose online it seems, given the symptoms provided you may be better off seeing a physician rather than a dentist.

It is possible to have pain the the TMJ - the joint where your lower jaw meets your skull - and that you are having referred pain from the TMJ. TMJ pain can mimic tooth pain.

However, since you are also having a runny nose on the same side as the pain a physician would be able to assess the Ainu and the TMJ.

I hope that this helps.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Gabjac31 replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
Sorry for my being delay. It has been almost 2 weeks. ... when I drink cold and it gets pain again.

I will see urgent clinical tomorrow morning. What is Ainu and the TMJ? I never heard of them.

Thanks,

Gabriel Jacques

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP replied to Gabjac31's response:
Hi Gabjac31,

Hi again, sorry, the TMJ is the Temporal-Mandibular-Joint, the joint you use to open and close your mouth under your ear.

Ainu was a typo, it should have read pain.

Your clinical description is more suggestive, especially over time, of a tooth related problem.

I would suggest that you see a dentist and have any tooth related pain addressed and then reassess your oral pain.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website