Includes Expert Content
Gum or teeth tighening
An_247521 posted:
I ve experienced tightening gum and feeling slightly pain in right side of both teeth and cheek. I got frequently right side nose running and had taken ibuprofen in the morning and night. I need to know what exact problem is that? I m concerned about visiting dentist without insurance and my being unemployed. I need your advice.
Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Gabjac,

How long has this been going on?
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin
Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi An_247521,

I am sorry to hear you have been having pain. Although I cannot diagnose online it seems, given the symptoms provided you may be better off seeing a physician rather than a dentist.

It is possible to have pain the the TMJ - the joint where your lower jaw meets your skull - and that you are having referred pain from the TMJ. TMJ pain can mimic tooth pain.

However, since you are also having a runny nose on the same side as the pain a physician would be able to assess the Ainu and the TMJ.

I hope that this helps.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown
Gabjac31 replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
Sorry for my being delay. It has been almost 2 weeks. ... when I drink cold and it gets pain again.

I will see urgent clinical tomorrow morning. What is Ainu and the TMJ? I never heard of them.


Gabriel Jacques
Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP replied to Gabjac31's response:
Hi Gabjac31,

Hi again, sorry, the TMJ is the Temporal-Mandibular-Joint, the joint you use to open and close your mouth under your ear.

Ainu was a typo, it should have read pain.

Your clinical description is more suggestive, especially over time, of a tooth related problem.

I would suggest that you see a dentist and have any tooth related pain addressed and then reassess your oral pain.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown