Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    *Ripped Gum*
    HollyKay1001 posted:
    There was a little piece of my gum in the way back of my mouth it was stringy. So i ripped it off and now my mouth is sore on the one side.
    Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
    Hi HollyKay100,

    Sorry to hear you have been having pain, hopefully you will be mending before you see my post.

    There are a number of reasons to develop a bit of loose tissue in the mouth. Fortunately most are very minor. The number one reaso I see patient with peeling of the gingia is the result of direct contact to the affected area, this can be traumatic in origin like a pizza burn or chemical burn from tooth paste or mouthwash. For my patient population the toothpastes tend to be "organic" or "natural" and the mouthwash has a high alcohol content.

    There are also a small number of skin conditions that can present with similar signs and symptoms associated with peeling of the gingiva when the oral mucosa is involved.

    If the wound heals normally within a week barring other factors it should be an isolated incident. If the tissue does not heal or it appears to be growing or spreading I suggest that you see an oral surgeon to have a biopsy done. A biopsy will give you a specific diagnosis which will allow for appropriate treatment.

    I hope this help!

    Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

    Helpful Tips

    sinus trouble in my teeth
    need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 19 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website