Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Newly pregnant and need to get my wisdom teeth out.
An_247529 posted:
I just found out I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I also need to get my wisdom teeth out. My question is, is it possible to get my wisdom teeth out and if so when is it ok and can I be put under.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear An_247529:

First of all, Congratulations!

It is very hard for me to recommend a course of action for you, since you are only telling me that you need to get the wisdom teeth out, but you are not telling me the diagnosis. WHY is it that you need them out? Are they infected?

If this is just an elective procedure, wait until after you give birth. If you have an emergency (a tooth is infected), you should treat it right away, since an infection in your body can affect your baby. If it is only one tooth that should be removed, it can be done with local anesthetic, which will generally not affect your baby.

Either way, you should discuss this with your oral surgeon.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website