Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Shark Teeth in adults with permanent teeth
An_247625 posted:
I an not quiet sure that in my case its refereed to as shark teeth, my two front upper incisors (front teeth) are in there right place. The ones that were suppose to grow in beside them have grown in behind then and my canine are right beside my two front teeth. I have concluded that this is not common due to the reaction I have gotten from other people through out my life the only other people i have know to have it as well with their permanent teeth are my sisters not even my parents for this fact have had this problem and it is odd that neither orthodontist and or dentist would recommend pulling them due to the fact that their my permanent teeth and at the moment of consideration the didn't cause facial distortion or pain. but as i am getting older i have been having more with my tongue and these teeth. such shaping my tongue in an different from and cutting and/or hurting my tongue and making it difficult in life. being 20 and having no dental insurance and this being more and more of a problem im not sure if i should try and coupe with it longer or save up the money to get them pulled if i can.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear An_247625:

This is not a question of insurance, or extraction. It is a question of proper diagnosis.

You are still very young and the teeth, in the current position will cause you future problems. The work to fix those problems when you are 40 and 50 years old will be much more expensive than anything that can be done today.

You must speak to your orthodontist, or go to www.braces.org and look up a new one, who will see whether your jaws can be expanded and space created to bring those teeth into proper bite. If you cannot afford a private orthodontist, go to a local dental school for a proper consultation.

Extraction of the teeth should not be ruled out, but should be only considered after careful orthodontic evaluation.

Don't waste time... the earlier in life you do this, the better.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website