Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Can oral yeast infection be spread thru oral sex.
An_247721 posted:
I had oral sex with a man, I was the giver, about 2 months ago. My mouth and lips then go sore and peeling. Went to dentist and he says it is oral yeast infection and meds seem to be clearing it up but I am 67 aand have never had this before. Could I have gotten it from the man?
Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi An_247721,

That is an excellent question without a simple answer. The basic answer is no, candida is not contagious and you cannot give or get candida from oral sex.

Even if it were contagious it would present intraorally and would not affect your lips.

This does not mean that you don't have a yeast infection. What you need to know is that candida is a normal part of the oral flora, it is supposed to be in your mouth. So what you are dealing with is really an overgrowth of your yeast, the yeast living in your mouth which is a normal healthy part of your oral environment.

Anti fungal medication will treat this overgrowth effectively, however, the yeast infection would have resolved on its own given time.

In addition even if you did "catch" something, especially something like candidiasis, it would have gotten better by now. Two months is a long time to have an acute response to a sexual act.The likelihood is that the sore mouth and peeling lips are not sexually related at all.

If it does not go away completely with the anti fungal medication you should see a specialist in either oral medicine or oral pathology and confirm that you have the right diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown
ebby296 replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
Thank dr.gwen cause I was over worried that it could pass through oral sex !..

Helpful Tips

After root canal...
Hi to all of you with toothache and may you solve it fast and successfully. Last couple days it was a hell for me and I have been checking ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website