Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Lip bleeds
mivna100 posted:
My girlfriend, who is 60 has recently over the past couple of months has been experiencing lip bleeding on a part of her lower lip. It will bleed profusely for a half hour to an hour. Ice on it helps. She saw her dermatologist but did not come away with any help. Is their a medical issue and is their any balms to help.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi miniva100,

I hope that your girlfriend is feeling better and that her lip is healing.

In general vertical lip ulcers affect the lower lip and are chronic. They open and bleed, begin to heal and then split again. The lip next to the ulcer becomes fibrotic (dense and scar like, like a keloid) with very little blood flow so tbe feel hard and non pliable. This type of lip ulcer will, in general, not go away on its own and topical medication is not usually effective.

Vertical lip ulcers tend to get worse with changes in weather and decrease in humidity, this can include air conditioning and dry heat in addition to climate change.

If this presentation is consistent with your girlfriends situation you may want to suggest that she sees an oral surgeon or a plastic surgeon who can treat the lip. It is not normal to have bleeding from the lip for this much time and it is in her best interest to get a diagnosis and treatment.

There are no balms or topical dressings I can suggest without a prescription.

She should not use petroleum jelly as it is hydrophilic and will draw out moisture from the lip, exactly the opposite of what she needs. The skin of the lip is very thin and petroleum jelly is great for knees and elbows but it is contraindicated for the lips. Bees wax or glycerin would be better choices.

I hope that this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website