Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Lip bleeds
    mivna100 posted:
    My girlfriend, who is 60 has recently over the past couple of months has been experiencing lip bleeding on a part of her lower lip. It will bleed profusely for a half hour to an hour. Ice on it helps. She saw her dermatologist but did not come away with any help. Is their a medical issue and is their any balms to help.
    Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
    Hi miniva100,

    I hope that your girlfriend is feeling better and that her lip is healing.

    In general vertical lip ulcers affect the lower lip and are chronic. They open and bleed, begin to heal and then split again. The lip next to the ulcer becomes fibrotic (dense and scar like, like a keloid) with very little blood flow so tbe feel hard and non pliable. This type of lip ulcer will, in general, not go away on its own and topical medication is not usually effective.

    Vertical lip ulcers tend to get worse with changes in weather and decrease in humidity, this can include air conditioning and dry heat in addition to climate change.

    If this presentation is consistent with your girlfriends situation you may want to suggest that she sees an oral surgeon or a plastic surgeon who can treat the lip. It is not normal to have bleeding from the lip for this much time and it is in her best interest to get a diagnosis and treatment.

    There are no balms or topical dressings I can suggest without a prescription.

    She should not use petroleum jelly as it is hydrophilic and will draw out moisture from the lip, exactly the opposite of what she needs. The skin of the lip is very thin and petroleum jelly is great for knees and elbows but it is contraindicated for the lips. Bees wax or glycerin would be better choices.

    I hope that this helps!

    Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

    Helpful Tips

    Rash on lips
    I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    15 of 34 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website