Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
Proper shape of molar fillings?
giaban posted:
I recently had a bunch of composite fillings done by a new dentist, and not only am I now having pain and bite problems, but the shape of the bite surfaces looks awfully strange to me. Rather than the rounded cusps and V-shaped grooves I see in pictures/on other people, the edges of my filled molars look sharp and tall, with smooth, cup-shaped grooves. (Some of them are literally sharp, too.) Is this a normal shape for fillings?
Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear giaban:

No. It is NOT normal shape for fillings. Ideally the restoration should be identical to the original shape of the tooth. However, that is difficult to achieve with a direct restoration (a filling).

You MUST go back to the dentist to address these problems. The new fillings should be just "there", as if nothing was done. The bite should be right on and your tongue should not be able to detect the interface between the filling material and the natural tooth. These characteristics are highly dependent on the dentist's ability. I hope that you can resolve the issues with your dentist.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman
giaban replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Thank you so much for your response. So far I have not had any luck resolving the problems, and am experiencing a steadily worsening bite (my lower jaw is beginning to jut forward, causing my front teeth to hit against each other. Even after adjustments from the dental staff, the bite remains uneven and painful. Chewing is almost not an option.)

What can be done to restore my original bite? Most of my teeth were filled in the same session, so there isn't exactly anything original left to use as a guideline.
giaban replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
I can't edit my other response, but I'd like to add that I have definitely developed an obvious underbite and, as of today, am having speech problems. My jaw pops terribly and it is very difficult to keep my teeth together. It has been one week since the fillings were done, so I can only imagine how bad my jaw position and function will be by the time my dentist sees me again next week.

What can I expect in terms of treatment options? Is there anything I should under no circumstances consent to?
Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to giaban's response:
Dear Giaban:

I am so, so, sorry to hear that you are having this problem. A major portion of my practice is dedicated to people, like you, who had major dentistry done and are struggling with "bite issues".
The specialist in this area is the Prosthodontist. You can locate one near you at and go in for a consultation.

Unfortunately, this is all that I can give you over this very limited forum.

The Prosthodontist has to examine you and check your bite carefully. It might just be adjusted, or some, or all the restorations have to be redone.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website