Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Continued pain despite numerous procedures....HELP
phantgiz posted:
My problem has been going on for over 3 years and I've about given up hope.
A little over 3 yrs. ago i had pain in what I thought was upper RT 14. Xrays showed no problem but I was heading out travelling for a year so was prescribed AB. Took 3 courses of AB over that year until it became unbearable and wasn't responding. Pain was excruciating into jaw, eye area, sinus etc. RC done by dentist in AZ who was unable to get to bottom of root. Sent to endodontist who finished the job with difficulty. Said he got as close as he could.
Pain continued..more AB and pain pills. Returned to Canada for the summer and xrays from my dentist negative. Sent to endodontist again who recommended extraction. Extraction done and pain continued. I might mention that when I get severe pain for 1-3 days and then a foul taste in my mouth and some relief until the next time. I'm starting to think that tooth wasn't the problem and it may have been worked on and subsequently extracted for no reason. No explanation for the continued pain so they suggested pulling RT. upper 15 as it wasn't serving any purpose and had "dropped". Had lower Rt 18 removed yrs. ago. My dentist wouldn't do it so sent me to one who would. Ended up with continued swelling in that area and bone fragments worked their way out. Had to see an oral surgeon to have them removed. He said he had a "look around" when he opened it up and found no other problem.
I've had an ultrasound of sinus last year which are negative also.
History of that area. ..bridge on 10, 11 and 12 upper RT from years ago which was never a problem but my dentist replaced it about 4 years ago. Pain and symptoms subsided for a few months but recently had a filling replaced on 13 which was extremely sensitive to hot and cold and hurts when tapped. My dentist told me it was due to some recession of gums. Pain and horrible taste have returned with a vengence. AGAIN, told the xray looks fine and shows no sign of abscess. I KNOW there's infection somewhere but nobody seems to be able to find it. I can't afford to lose any more teeth nor can I afford it financially especially when the problem still hasn't been found after spending thousands of $$.
Other symptoms....when pain is severe, it goes into Rt. side of nose up to eye and whole RT. side of face. Not as much into lower jaw as it used to. I have a swelling at all times in roof of mouth behind the bridge which feels smooth all the times but when pain acts up it feels like a bad burn similar to what you'd have after eating hot cheese. Area from surgery to remove bone fragments still also gets swollen and painful when this acts up. I called oral surgeon and begged him to find the problem but he says he can't help me because nothing is evident! I'm desperate. Tired of all the AB and pain pills and feeling horrible. I don't know where to turn next. I had wanted to get an implant to replace 14 but am reluctant with all this ongoing problem that nobody can figure out.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I am frightened of having anything done anymore as it's only led to other problems and I'm still without a diagnosis or cure. My insurance has been used up numerous times each year and I've put out thousands of my own $$ and still don't have an answer. Thanks. BTW--I've also had pano xrays twice..negative.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear phantgiz:

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. My first piece of advise is to DO NOTHING until you have a diagnosis.

I have seen situations such as yours... the teeth get root canalled, extracted and the pain is still there.

Ask your oral surgeon to have a Cone-Beam CT scan. It will allow your doctors to view the area in a three dimensional fashion. It is possible to see the independent roots of each tooth still present and the internal aspect of the sinus, which could also be the cause for the pain. In addition, a consultation with a neurologist is in order.

There are other things that can cause pain in the area. All these things have to be ruled out before we look at the teeth. The teeth might have nothing to do with it.

This is the best that I can give you. You must establish a diagnosis first.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

phantgiz replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. Problem is I pleaded with the oral surgeon to investigate further after he did the surgery to remove bone fragments and he said he couldn't see me if there was no apparent problem to treat. I keep going in circles. I will see if my FD will order the CT scan and a consult with Neurologist and take it from there. Many thanks again.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website