Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Was it an Abcess or did I unknowingly burn the roof of my mouth?
strshne_420 posted:
About 2 weeks ago, with no known reason to me, I woke up and the roof of my mouth, centered, but more towards behind my right front tooth, it was sore. Later that day, it felt swollen. The next morning, I was shocked to be in pain. When I looked, I swear it looked as though I'd begun to grow a fang out of the roof of my outh AND, distressingly, my front right tooth seemed a tad loose!
I sterilized a needle and pooped whatever it was and then used oragel to ease the pain. Within the next 2 days, it was gone and my tooth was no longer loose.
Was that some sort of Abcess...or could I possibly have burned the roof of my mouth without realizing it? The latter seems impossible, since I've burned the roof of my mouth by accident in the past and ALWAYS felt it immediately.
I am concerned and confused. Please help me with this dilemma?
Thanks for your time and consideration.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi strshne_420,

Unfortunately I am not able to diagnose on line and without seeing you clinically it would be impossible to provide any specific clinical information.

In general once a tooth related problem develops it is unlikely that it will go away or resolve on its own. There has been bone loss around the tooth, this is evident because the tooth became mobile.

In all likelihood you probably have a non-vital tooth, the tooth is no longer alive. The specific issue at this point is that pus can "melt" bone and without treatment the tooth may chronically leak pus into the mouth and affectively destroy the bone holding the adjacent teeth.

There are only two options for treating a non-vital tooth, either a root canal or an extraction. If possible a root canal is always advisable when it is possible. Unfortunately if there has been too much bone loss around the tooth it will need to be extracted.

I strongly suggest that you see a dentist as soon as possible and have an assessment of the current condition of the affected tooth.

Burns rarely develop pus unless they are secondarily infected so it is not likely that this is a burn.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

WebMD doesn't document EMG for diagnosing TMD
Why are WebMD's informational articles on TMD a couple of years old and don't even mention EMG? Even wikipedia calls it the most reliable ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website