Includes Expert Content
Pain in tooth over a year after root canal
actfray posted:
A little over a year ago, I had a root canal and permanent crown on my #17 molar. There were no problems with the surgery or the crown placement, and a few days later everything was fine with no pain or discomfort present. But a couple of weeks ago, I noticed an odd sensitivity in that tooth. I do not have pain when I chew or wash cold water over it, but if I touch the tooth or swirl my tongue over it, I have a pain similar to when my endo was removing the temporary crown. I do not have any pain in my jaw. Since the nerve was removed, where is this sensitivity coming from? I should mention that my #18 molar was extracted about 5 years ago and never replaced, but I haven't had any problems with that situation either.

Thank you.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear actfray,

It is nearly impossible for me to give you a correct diagnosis over this limited forum. However, you might have cement left under the gum around the crown.

You have to go back to your dentist and have him/her look at the situation.

I am sorry that this is all that I can give you.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

sabiprath responded:
I'm sorry to say that I've had this problem more than once, with teeth that had root canals. I hope that it's just cement stuck in there, as the dentist suggests - with me, it was broken teeth. I kept the first tooth after they pulled it; it has a crack all the way down one root. If a tooth is broken, it can still hurt even without nerves, because a nerve or two remains at the bottom of the root. I'm on my third implant as a result of brittle teeth. One oral surgeon suggested that root canals were only a temporary (if expensive) measure, making the tooth more brittle and requiring the $4000 implant surgery down the road. Good luck...