Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pain in tooth over a year after root canal
actfray posted:
A little over a year ago, I had a root canal and permanent crown on my #17 molar. There were no problems with the surgery or the crown placement, and a few days later everything was fine with no pain or discomfort present. But a couple of weeks ago, I noticed an odd sensitivity in that tooth. I do not have pain when I chew or wash cold water over it, but if I touch the tooth or swirl my tongue over it, I have a pain similar to when my endo was removing the temporary crown. I do not have any pain in my jaw. Since the nerve was removed, where is this sensitivity coming from? I should mention that my #18 molar was extracted about 5 years ago and never replaced, but I haven't had any problems with that situation either.

Thank you.
Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear actfray,

It is nearly impossible for me to give you a correct diagnosis over this limited forum. However, you might have cement left under the gum around the crown.

You have to go back to your dentist and have him/her look at the situation.

I am sorry that this is all that I can give you.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman
sabiprath responded:
I'm sorry to say that I've had this problem more than once, with teeth that had root canals. I hope that it's just cement stuck in there, as the dentist suggests - with me, it was broken teeth. I kept the first tooth after they pulled it; it has a crack all the way down one root. If a tooth is broken, it can still hurt even without nerves, because a nerve or two remains at the bottom of the root. I'm on my third implant as a result of brittle teeth. One oral surgeon suggested that root canals were only a temporary (if expensive) measure, making the tooth more brittle and requiring the $4000 implant surgery down the road. Good luck...

Helpful Tips

mouth blisters could be...
related to"valley fever" or a form of bacteria like mold spores can cause mouth blisters/sores in the roof of your mouth. Check out ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website