Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Root Canal Pain
Malinovka posted:
I was having sensitivity to a molar for about 2 years. The dentist tried to 'save' the tooth by giving me a coating on the tooth. It helped for a while, but then the sensitivity increased, and eventually there was pain while chewing. I was advised to get a root canal. While trying to do the root canal I was extremely uncomfortable even though I was given three shots of anesthetic. She explained that she was able to clean out one canal but two were so inflamed that she could not get the anesthetic into the area. She closed the tooth and told me to come back in two days, the pulp would be dead. Went back and even after three shots of anesthetic still they could not touch the tooth without extreme pain up the side of my head. She gave me an antibiotic, but after three days on it I still can not get through a day without taking some kind of painkiller. Is this normal?

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Malinovka:

No, this is not normal. When a tooth is "hot", inflamed, the inflammation itself can stop the anesthetic from working properly. However, there are techniques to counter act that.

You might want to ask your dentist for a referral to an Endodontist who is the expert in this area. The Endodontists learn exactly that: how to handle patients who are in extreme pain from inflamed teeth. www.aae.org will have a link to an Endodontist near you.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website