Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    strange thing on my top gum
    horizondestruct posted:
    there is a strange lump or thing on my top right gum(maybe even a little above)but its like a small pocket or hole with a red small soft thing or abscess coming out of it and going back in and when i push on it it feels like a lot of nerves
    i really would like to know what this is please!
    Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
    Hi horizondestruct,

    Although I cannot diagnose online I can tell you that your clinical description does sound like you have developed an abscess secondary to the tooth becoming non-vital (the tooth has "died").

    You need to see a dentist or an Endodontist to have treatment soon. Unfortunately once the tooth becomes non-vital you only have two options, you need to have a root canal or you need to have the tooth extracted. I always recommend a root canal whenever possible.

    Occasionally a root canal procedure cannot be done because there is not sufficient bone around the tooth to make it worthwhile. The longer the tooth has pus draining out of it the more bone will be lost. Essentially the pus "melts" the bone.

    The sooner you have the tooth taken care of, either by root canal or extraction, the better. Leaving it without treatment means that you will have a chronic situation of pus draining into your mouth and inevitable bone loss which can also affect the teeth and bone adjacent to the non-vital tooth.

    If it is a matter of expense you should look on the American Dental Educators Association for a list of dental schools and hospital with a dental department or dental residency program.

    I hope this helps!

    Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

    Helpful Tips

    sinus trouble in my teeth
    need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 19 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website