Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
strange thing on my top gum
horizondestruct posted:
there is a strange lump or thing on my top right gum(maybe even a little above)but its like a small pocket or hole with a red small soft thing or abscess coming out of it and going back in and when i push on it it feels like a lot of nerves
i really would like to know what this is please!
Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi horizondestruct,

Although I cannot diagnose online I can tell you that your clinical description does sound like you have developed an abscess secondary to the tooth becoming non-vital (the tooth has "died").

You need to see a dentist or an Endodontist to have treatment soon. Unfortunately once the tooth becomes non-vital you only have two options, you need to have a root canal or you need to have the tooth extracted. I always recommend a root canal whenever possible.

Occasionally a root canal procedure cannot be done because there is not sufficient bone around the tooth to make it worthwhile. The longer the tooth has pus draining out of it the more bone will be lost. Essentially the pus "melts" the bone.

The sooner you have the tooth taken care of, either by root canal or extraction, the better. Leaving it without treatment means that you will have a chronic situation of pus draining into your mouth and inevitable bone loss which can also affect the teeth and bone adjacent to the non-vital tooth.

If it is a matter of expense you should look on the American Dental Educators Association for a list of dental schools and hospital with a dental department or dental residency program.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Helpful Tips

Bone loss in gums
If you are experiencing bone loss in the gums and their is no pathology, What can be done to stop bone loss. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website