Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
tooth pain during pregnancy
radhu posted:
am on my first trimester of pregnancy and a few days back i noticed that i have pain on a tooth which underwent root canal 7 years ago
it is not a severe pain but when i try to chew food it gives a pain and i am scared to go to dentist because people tell its not safe to treat oral problems during pregnancy because it may harm the developing fetus
i am worried and not sure what needs to be done, as of now i have stopped chewing using the left side as the infected tooth is at left side lower side

please advise

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Radhu:

Congratulations!

Let's follow the logic here....

You are pregnant! That is wonderful. You are, however, not only responsible for your life now, but for the well being of your growing child. You also have a dental problem. You know that since you are in pain. ...and what do all the smart "they" tell you? "don't go to the doctor"????

It is absolutely true that any elective dental treatment should be done in the second trimester. At that time, all the major organs of your fetus are formed and the potential for damage is limited. Also, if you are treated in the third trimester, the stress of the treatment might induce premature birth.

However, you are not looking at elective treatment at this point. You have a problem which has to be addressed immediately, if only to obtain the proper diagnosis.

So, here is what to do...

Go to your dentist and have your mouth looked at. Have them take an X-ray of the problem teeth. The more current digital (computerized) x-ray systems produce negligible radiation (you get more radiation going in the sun). Make sure that when the X-rays are taken, your belly is covered by the lead apron and ask, before you go, whether the X-rays are digital. Most contemporary offices are digital.

Ask the dentist if the problems can wait a couple of months. If they can, wait until your second trimester and have the work done.
This IS VERY IMPORTANT! You need to be healthy throughout the pregnancy for the sake of your baby. ...and trust me, as a father, I can tell you that after the birth, you will NOT have time for the dentist.
Don't forget to also ask the dentist about your oral hygiene and make sure that you are brushing and flossing very well.

There is a clear link between poor oral hygiene of the mother and low birth weight of the baby.

Keep your health at an optimum first.

Best wishes for an easy pregnancy.

Dr. Zev Kaufman

radhu replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
dear Dr. Zev

thank u so much for your valuable advice, i was wondering what to do as the pain is little high in the night and i find it difficult to chew the food properly thanks much i have decided to visit the dentist tomorrow

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to radhu's response:
I am so glad that you are taking control!
Best wishes,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Bone loss in gums
If you are experiencing bone loss in the gums and their is no pathology, What can be done to stop bone loss. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website