Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Raw patch in my mouth
Kaelaleman posted:
My inner bottom lip has been hurting for a couple of days and feeling like I maybe scraped it and my teeth have felt abnormally sharp against them so I looked today and it looks like this. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi Kaelaleman,

Although I am not allowed to diagnose on line my clinical impression is that this is a superficial ulcer. Due to the size and shape it probably is traumatic in origin.

Oftentimes patients will develop ulcers secondary to trauma that occurs while they are sleeping. This means that the patient may not be aware of the traumatic etiology of the ulcer as they don't know they bit themselves.

Fortunately traumatic ulcers tend to behave like minor aphthous ulcers (canker sores) and will resolve on there own within seven to ten days.

If it remains after a week you should make an appointment with your dentist so it can be assessed in person.

If it continues to get worse and not show signs of healing you should not wait to see your dentist. Pain is a priority so an emergency visit may be warranted.

In the meanwhile, be careful not to irritate the affected area, this may lead to delayed healing.

Stay away from hot temperature and hot spicy foods. Do not use an alcohol based mouthwash which could cause a chemical burn on top of the ulcer. If you must use an oral rinse I recommend an oral rinse without alcohol or a warm salt water rinse.

Don't pull on your lip or play with the area with your tongue which may lead to secondary inflammation and a longer healing time. Try to ignore it if possible.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Bone loss in gums
If you are experiencing bone loss in the gums and their is no pathology, What can be done to stop bone loss. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website