Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Son's Adult Teeth
iversonjr76 posted:
Hello, my son is 4 and will be 5 in April 2013. He is currently loosing his baby teeth and getting in his adult teeth. However, he has had one loose tooth for about 1.5 weeks now, and me and my wife just noticed that the adult tooth is growing behind it with a small piece of gum separating them. I believe this is not normal, but am looking into setting an appointment for the dentist for him. However, since money is very scarce in my family, I was trying to look up what kind of procedure might need to be done to resolve this issue so I can look into my benefits and see what this might potentially cost me. I currently have Aetna DMO in CA through my employer. But if anyone has information on this type of situtation, please share and thank you for your help.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear iversonjr76,

Allow me to assure you that everything is perfectly normal. It is not uncommon for children to have there adult teeth start growing in prior to the exfoliation of the deciduous, baby teeth. AS a matter of fact the only thing that needs to be done right now is careful observation by a dentist.

You are doing the right thing. Any insurance company pays well for preventive care especially for children. Please go see a pediatric dentist near you.

www.aapd.org will have a proper link to locating a Pediatric dentist in your area.

Best wishes,

Dr. Zev Kaufman

Th3momof2 responded:
We nicknamed our son "shark mouth" because ALL of his adult teeth on the bottom front came in while his baby teeth were still in place. Needless to say, an Orthodontist is going to make a killing off our 2 kids . Neither of them have enough room in their little mouths! Hope everything is good for you now!

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Bone loss in gums
If you are experiencing bone loss in the gums and their is no pathology, What can be done to stop bone loss. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website