Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Weird way of a tooth extraction site healing question
wildecarde posted:
I had 2 of my teeth pulled six days ago. Molars, both lower on opposite sides of my mouth. I have no pain, but one socket still looks hollow and unhealed. I've followed my post op instructions to a T, and tonight there was just a couple trickles of blood. Not much. With that said, it HAS been six days going on 7 and most people say I am out of the woods for dry socket. I am going to go see my dentist in a couple of days but I was just wondering if I really am out of the woods for that to occur or if I should perhaps just stop in at his office tomorrow morning? Is this still something I can develop six/seven days later?

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear WildeCarde:

There is way too much stuff commented on dry sockets. They do not happen nearly as often as it appears from the comments on the internet.

A dry socket happens when the blood supply to the socket is compromised. The number one cause is smoking, which constricts the blood vessels.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Do not worry. Brush your teeth properly and wait for the post op appointment.

The gums take at least two weeks to heal and the bone within the socket takes at least two months.

Resume life and don't think about it.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

WebMD doesn't document EMG for diagnosing TMD
Why are WebMD's informational articles on TMD a couple of years old and don't even mention EMG? Even wikipedia calls it the most reliable ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website