Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    damdge tooth
    delisle posted:
    my tooth was knocked out of place and was back in position. i also received a hair line fracture to my front upper gum. however the dentist placed brackets on and told me that i would need a root canal although the the tooth has not start to heal. do you think that i should get this operation?
    Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
    Dear delisle:

    I am sorry to hear about your incident. It is unfortunate. However, if your tooth was knocked out and re-implanted by your dentist, chances are very good that it is non-vital (dead). The only way for you to keep this tooth in your mouth without an infection is by getting root canal treatment, and a final restoration (probably a filling to close the root canal access).

    If you have any doubts, I'd recommend going to an Endodontist-the root canal specialist, for a second opinion.

    Nevertheless, it sound like your dentist is doing the right thing.

    Best of luck,
    Dr. Zev Kaufman

    Helpful Tips

    Dentures and implantsExpert
    Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    24 of 34 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website