Skip to content


Gadgets and Apps: Bluetooth for Your Teeth
Includes Expert Content
Regretting Dental Decision
An_249058 posted:
When I was seven, I chipped my front right tooth. I got it fixed and the filling lasted until I was 14 until it needed to be replaced.

When I went to get it refilled, my regular dentist wasn't the one who fixed it, the filling was painful, they didn't numb me. I was crying and the dentist didn't stop. Basically, I was traumatized.

The filling was lopsided and was pushing against my other front tooth. That filling fell out a mere 6 hours later.

I got that one replaced again, with my new dentist, but since the last dentist had made it painful by making the filling press against the other tooth, I asked the dentist to make a gap in between my teeth.

I was young and foolish and I regret that decision. Is there anyway to fill this gap? Can I return to the dentist and tell him my mistake? It's been a year and I officially hate my smile. It pains me to think about it and I hate it. What can I do?
Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear An_249058:

I am very sorry to hear that you have had a traumatic experience. It is a shame. So many people have a similar experience in early life and it sabotages their oral care for life.

Do not fear, though. There are many wonderful, caring dentists who will be more than happy to make you a patient.

Let your new dentist have a chance at it. Before the work though, talk to your dentist. Tell him about the experience that you have had.

Express your concerns and worries.

If your new dentist is conscientious, he will listen and treat you properly. If you are not getting a proper response, take your business to a dentist who cares about you. As I said, there are plenty of those around.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and best of luck,

Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Solution 4 Mouth Ulcers
The reason 4 mouth ulcers is CONSTIPATION, Imbalance nutrition, eating unwholesome food and dehydration. So if proper food is given and if ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website