Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dry Socket Irrigation
LorifromMI posted:
I am looking for any advise. I had wisdom teeth removed and only the bottom lower left is now causing me (intolerable) pain. Here's my issue. Once the OS determined I had dry socket, they packed it with the nasty medicated clove dressing. I was so sick and nausiated that I had them take it out after 1 day. Then the pain was intolerable again so I had them put it back in and same result. I was sooooo sick. I had them remove it again. I have 2 prescription pain medsToradol and Norco. These work for the normal pain until I IRRIGATE! I have capitalized this because this the most horrid and intolerable pain ever! I know what some of you might be thinking, but the dressing back in but I just can't. I'm looking for recommendations on food to eat to avoid irrigating. Do I need to irrigate after every meal? Its been 9 days (counting the day of surgery). My dry socket started on day 4. How long will this take for the bone to be covered and I can stop irrigating? I need to work also so I feel like my only option is that sickening medicated packing.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Lori:
I am sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience. However, you and many others, mistake removal of food for proper hygiene to remove plaque. Food IS NOT the problem. Plaque (the bacteria that lives in our mouth and produces toxins) IS the problem. When you brush your teeth, you need to remove the bacterial plaque off your teeth. The is what is important, so the food that you eat is not. Avoiding puppy seeds, etc. is just a good idea.
As to the dry socket, it is caused by a blood clot that FAILS to form in the socket. If the dressing that was put in does not help, or you cannot take it, the only other thing to do is to go to the oral surgeon and have him/her curette the socket and make it bleed again. If the bone is made to bleed again, it will form a new blood clot and should heal properly.
Unfortunately, there is no escape from reality.
Please call your oral surgeon, and I hope that already did.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website