Includes Expert Content
Numbness following dental surgery
An_249202 posted:
After having dental surgery my lower lip is numb. The feeling never returned. It's been 4 months now and its still numb. What should I do.
Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear An_249202:
I am sorry to hear of your situation. You MUST talk to your dentist. This is a problem that is unfortunate, yet it does happen. I do not know what was done and it sounds as if the injury is permanent, yet you have to talk to your dentist and see an oral surgeon for a second opinion.
In certain situations some sensation can return, and the body starts to compensate.
I, unfortunately, cannot give you any more information.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman
An_249202 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Dear Dr Kaufman,

Thank you for your advice and concern.
I have seen a specialist for a second opinion of the numbness. He said if the feeling hasn't returned by 6 months its likely that it will never return .It is approaching the 6 month deadline.

However, that is not my greatest concern. Two days after the surgery I began to feel a sharp pain in my teeth, jaw and lower facial area..

I was referred to an endodontists for evaluation of a possible root canal. He assured me that my teeth were fine and I did not need a root canal. He diagnosed me with Trigeminal Neuraligia.

My question is does this condition ever go away?

I was given Tegratol 100mgs am and pm. So far I
still have the sharp pains in my lower jaw and facial area.

In your opinion was this caused by incompetence.

My dentist referred me to him saying he was a good oral surgeon?
I'm beginning to wonder if the oral surgeon is as competent as my dentist says he is.

Do you have any suggestions for me? What should I do next?

Thank you for your help.