Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Root Canal (post treatment) problems-HELP!
mml113 posted:
I am at my wits end and need some advice. On Oct 12 2012 I went in to have an old crown replaced (It wasn't done properly and I was having problems with it)-the tooth was not sensitive to hot or cold but it hurt to floss and there was a weak part toward the gum line when he touched it with an instrument. He cut off the old crown and put a temp on. I was fine for 3 days but on the 4th day I started having EXCRUTIATING pain in that tooth-I had to call in sick to work. I've never had that sort of pain in my life. I went in and he adjusted the bite, since I passed the tapping test and my X-rays looked fine. The pain continued-I was alternating IBU 8000 and Tylenol every 3-4 hours, and that only took the edge off of the pain. We rushed my permanent crown thinking it was the temp I was having problems with. Due to the severity of the pain we decided to move forward with a root canal, which was done Oct 23. He put the temp crown back on after the root canal, even though my permanent had already come in. I had normal sensitivity (brushing hurt, couldn't chew even soft foods on that side)-I had the bite adjusted 2 more times before he put the perm crown on WITH cement-when the temp crown was removed it hurt, felt like a lot of pressure. This bothered me but they assured me it was ok and there wasn't any nerve left. The perm crown continued to hurt-when I ate/drank something hot the tooth hurt to bite down on and would give me a dull ache. The ache/pain I was feeling was all concentrated in the tooth (best way I can describe it), it didn't feel like gum pain or anything. I've had the bite adjusted several times since Oct 23 (now 2 months later) but it still feels weak and achy. It doesn't hurt so much anymore when I bite, but when I bite ON something or brush I feel it. Even as I type it just feels weak. After all of that, it still hurts in the same spot when I floss. Not as I'm flossing down but as soon as I bring it UP I get a twinge of pain. How is this possible after a root canal? I wondered if it's a surrounding tooth but I feel every bit of the pain IN this particular tooth. The pain is very isolated to "inside" the crown. When I push on the outside of the tooth I feel like I can push the crown right off-if I bite something crunchy it hurts. I have been back to the dentist more times than I can count for this and I'm tired of the back and forth. He has done several x-rays and everything looks great with the root canal. I wondered if it was just tissue pain from all the trauma but after 2 months I don't think I should be feeling this sort of pain anymore. If there happened to be parts of the nerve still in it would I still have that excrutiating pain? Any idea what it could be? Can't go to another dentist without paying out of pocket. I love my dentist and I know he's doing what is best but I wonder if there's something he's missing? Thanks!
(PS: if this is not the right place for questions I'm sorry, this is my first time to post)

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website