Skip to content
Wisdom teeth out after braces?
Nic_turp posted:
Hi. I'm 26 and got my braces off about 8 years ago. A few years ago I had to get the bottoms on again. I am so happy to be done with them. I now have a permenant retainer on top and bottom. I was told about a year ago I would need my wisdom teeth out. I thought I was old enough and never been told thy before that I wouldn't need to worry about it. None of my wisdom teeth are impacted. I kept putting it off to get a consultation for a year but now 2 of my wisdom teeth are coming in and I can feel my teeth shifting slightly. So my question is should I get my wisdom teeth out because potentially my teeth will shift? Or will be retainers keep them in place? I'm really scared to get this surgery done. Please help!

Ashie91319 responded:
I'm actually surprised they weren't taken out before you had all of your brace work done. Many of my friends who gotten braces had to get all of their's cut out because it would mess up their teeth again.

But I really consider to get them done, they can really mess with your teeth especially for those who've gotten or have braces. If none of your teeth are impacted ( which happened to one of my friends had to get them out for her braces) then getting them removed shouldn't be too bad. It sounds that their not all the way through so they might have to cut them out.

However, I had all four of mine removed when I was 17 (they had all pushed through at this point) at the same time. They just numbed me and pushed them out. I was in and out in like 20 minutes.

Regardless if you decide to get them removed or not, talk to your dentist or orthodontist. They'll know for sure if you need to.

pteanna responded:
you definetly have that tooth removed or you may land up in lower font teeth crowding
if you teeth has already moved you better get a removable retainer for the occuring malocclusion before it gets worse

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website