Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dental Insurance Terminated with no notification and now dentist wants full payment
jsmith1299 posted:
Hi All,

My mother was under a Humana plan and was terminated without us ever receiving any notice. She went in for a procedure for two cavity removals (I believe it was two) and now have received a bill for $575.00.

Isn't the dentist supposed to run a pre-check to ensure that payment will be made? At this point can anyone assist on what I should do? Should I as for a discounted price from the dentist? Is there anything I can do with regards to Humana?

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear jsmith1299:
It is unfortunate that our mother had a misunderstanding with the dentist. However, it is ultimately the patient who is responsible for payment of the dentist's bill. Yes, you are correct, generally, if a dentist accepts payment from insurance, they should usually check for eligibility. Even if the dentist does not accept payment from insurance, it is common courtesy for the dentist's staff to check and make sure that the insurance is submitted correctly for the patient, and thus having the insurance reimbursement sent to the patient promptly.
The only advice that I can tell you is to talk to the dentist and explain what you have explained here. Maybe the dentist can do something for you, but he does not have to.
I am sorry that this is all that I can give you .
Best of .luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website