Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic gum irritation (probably) due to dry mouth?
violetblues posted:
Hello,[br>[br>I'm a 27 year old healthy female, low bmi, I exercise, I have experienced some intense job and school stress the last few months. It's better now. I do have some mild recession due to a bout of periodontal disease a few years ago, which is under control now (low pocket numbers, gums are healthy).[br>[br>On and off, I've experienced some gum irritation in the last few years, primarily when my mouth is dry or I'm in a dry climate. It wasn't frequent enough to be bothersome. About a month ago, I began experiencing this same sensation, but constantly and intensely. I went to my dentist, and he told me that it is not due to plaque, that my teeth are clean. He thinks it could be a reaction to my toothpaste or dry mouth, and that the stress caused the flare up.[br>[br>I switched toothpastes with no avail, so I'm focusing on the dry mouth. I'm using biotene products, staying hydrated, chewing gum, etc, and still in pain. I *shouldn't* have dry mouth - - I'm not congested, not on meds other than birth control, certainly not at risk for diabetes, no possibility of HIV. The other strange thing — admittedly, my mouth is somewhat dry, but it is really only my gums that are bothering me (lips are always a little dry, a bit of a sore throat, but the extreme gum irritation doesn't seem to match up with the other mild symptoms).[br>[br>Any thoughts on what could be causing it and how to treat it? I started taking multivitamins, and started taking over the counter meds for allergies just in case. I'm at a loss. I really, really appreciate any advice.

violetblues responded:
Sorry the formatting was so bad on the original post. Here it is with corrected formatting:

Hello,

I'm a 27 year old healthy female, low bmi, I exercise, I have experienced some intense job and school stress the last few months. It's better now. I do have some mild recession due to a bout of periodontal disease a few years ago, which is under control now (low pocket numbers, gums are healthy).

On and off, I've experienced some gum irritation in the last few years, primarily when my mouth is dry or I'm in a dry climate. It wasn't frequent enough to be bothersome. About a month ago, I began experiencing this same sensation, but constantly and intensely. I went to my dentist, and he told me that it is not due to plaque, that my teeth are clean. He thinks it could be a reaction to my toothpaste or dry mouth, and that the stress caused the flare up.

I switched toothpastes with no avail, so I'm focusing on the dry mouth. I'm using biotene products, staying hydrated, chewing gum, etc, and still in pain. I *shouldn't* have dry mouth - - I'm not congested, not on meds other than birth control, certainly not at risk for diabetes, no possibility of HIV. The other strange thing — admittedly, my mouth is somewhat dry, but it is really only my gums that are bothering me (lips are always a little dry, a bit of a sore throat, but the extreme gum irritation doesn't seem to match up with the other mild symptoms).

Any thoughts on what could be causing it and how to treat it? I started taking multivitamins, and started taking over the counter meds for allergies just in case. I'm at a loss. I really, really appreciate any advice.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website