Skip to content
Left-sided mouth pain after crown
An_251931 posted:
I cracked an upper left molar that had an extensive silver filling in it. My dentist replaced it with a crown. No root canal, and no sign of abcess. When the local wore off, I had a fair amount of pain in the teeth on the lower left. My teeth are extremely sensitive anyway, and usually do ache after dental work. The next day, the pain encompassed the whole left side of my mouth. All teeth ached, and the left side of my face felt odd. Not exactly numb, but disconnected. I have required the use of Ibuprofen around the clock since then. That was 9 days ago. The crowned tooth itself is not painful to the touch or normal chewing. If I chew something hard, it is sensitive, but no more so than before. My upper teeth are extremely sensitive to hot/cold. When the ibuprofen wears off, I have throbbing that start in my lower left teeth towards the front, then spreads to the rest of the lower left, then upper left, then deep into the jaw. Went back to my dentist two days ago who said my bite is fine, no sign of infection, so pain must be muscular. I have had tons of dental work over the years, and never had to use anything for pain afterwards. Is this normal? Could a nerve have been damaged?

plazadental responded:

Please go visit your dentist before matters become worse and things go out of control. It is normal for this to happen. A thorough examination can only tell you the reasons for it.

chigung replied to plazadental's response:
It is or is not normal? If normal why get in before it gets worse?

plazadental replied to chigung's response:
Of course its normal but if one does not go to a dentist and leaves the matter unattended for long then matters will get worse. So, it is better to address the issue at the earliest.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website