Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Left-sided mouth pain after crown
    An_251931 posted:
    I cracked an upper left molar that had an extensive silver filling in it. My dentist replaced it with a crown. No root canal, and no sign of abcess. When the local wore off, I had a fair amount of pain in the teeth on the lower left. My teeth are extremely sensitive anyway, and usually do ache after dental work. The next day, the pain encompassed the whole left side of my mouth. All teeth ached, and the left side of my face felt odd. Not exactly numb, but disconnected. I have required the use of Ibuprofen around the clock since then. That was 9 days ago. The crowned tooth itself is not painful to the touch or normal chewing. If I chew something hard, it is sensitive, but no more so than before. My upper teeth are extremely sensitive to hot/cold. When the ibuprofen wears off, I have throbbing that start in my lower left teeth towards the front, then spreads to the rest of the lower left, then upper left, then deep into the jaw. Went back to my dentist two days ago who said my bite is fine, no sign of infection, so pain must be muscular. I have had tons of dental work over the years, and never had to use anything for pain afterwards. Is this normal? Could a nerve have been damaged?

plazadental responded:

Please go visit your dentist before matters become worse and things go out of control. It is normal for this to happen. A thorough examination can only tell you the reasons for it.

chigung replied to plazadental's response:
    It is or is not normal? If normal why get in before it gets worse?

plazadental replied to chigung's response:
    Of course its normal but if one does not go to a dentist and leaves the matter unattended for long then matters will get worse. So, it is better to address the issue at the earliest.

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
    need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website