Skip to content
Molar extraction question
nic14120 posted:
Hello!
My 2nd to last lower left molar needs to be extracted due to a failed root canal last year. The broken tooth has been like this for a good year or so now. It has been slightly bothering me lately, so I went to see my dentist on Monday. He said it does not look infected, just inflammed. It does look slightly irritaed around it, kinda swollen around it, but nothing of a serious swelling or drastic. I am heading out of town on vacation on Thursday, so I am going to have him look at it one more time before I go. I am too nervous to have it pulled 3 days before I go on vacation, I am terrified of having a dry socket develop while I am away. He said if it continues to swell or becomes infected, I would start antibiotics and then have it pulled.

If by chance it starts to get infected while I am on vacation, and I start the antibiotics, will the meds help heal it until I get it pulled on 6/3 or wold it be recommended to have it pulled a certain amount of days after having the antibiotics started?

Another question I have is it is not visible sight, therefore I was not having any plans to replace it with a implant. He said the two teeth on the sides of it are virgin teeth, so he recommends a bone grafting until I get an implant. 1) If I get a grafting and I choose never to replace it, is that OK? 2) I am really uncomfortable with using a human bone grafting, kinda freaks me out with diseases and all, are there ever issues/complications due to this?

Thank you so much for all your help!

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website