Skip to content
12 year old daughter is missing 2 Adult Molars
Diginova posted:
I am struggling with a decision, regarding my 12 year old daughter's oral health care. She is missing 2 adult bottom molars. The orthodontist explained a few different scenarios for treatment, but recommended Option 1.

Option 1 - To remove 2 Permanent adult teeth on top and braces would pull teeth together correcting bite. Seemed to be the easiest solution when first explained (shortest time,etc.) The drawback for this being that it may change the shape of her face, specifically her profile.

Option 2 - To leave space where permanent molars were supposed to be and wear a retainer after braces to keep the space, eventually considering implants or a bridge when she is an adult.

We went for a second opinion, explaining our concern about extracting permanent teeth, and the second orthodontist recommended Option 2. I understand that ortho 2 could have been just telling us what we "wanted to hear" to gain our business. He showed us images of a similar subject's profile, where removing teeth made her look 20 yrs older than she was. I think there are serious pros and cons to both plans of action, and I'm trying to make the best possible long term decision, with no regret years down the road. I am hoping to find some insight hereon the situation. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Concerned Father

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website