Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tips on getting kids to brush their teeth?
TangledGurl posted:
I'm having trouble getting my 6 yr old to brush his teeth. He protests each time I tell him to do it. And it's definitely not a habit for him yet but I would love it to be!

YourPerfectSmile responded:
Hello

Getting kids to brush their teeth can be quite challenging sometimes. At Your Perfect Smile Dental Clinic tips we advise to use is to try to make it into fun activity.

- Do it as family time where everyone cleans their teeth at the same time and run competion who can brush the longest
- use disclosing tablets/ plaque search tablets as a part of family game and at the same time to develop correct brushing technique -

- try toothbrush playing tune

- Possibly the most success you will get using one of the smart phone apps ( especially for iPhone) which makes teethbrushing great fun for kids
They can brush along cartoon animals etc
like Brush with Jackson

I hope it helps

plazadental replied to YourPerfectSmile's response:
Kids basically love to do what their parent does and imitates in their life. So best possible way is to brush your teeth in front of them every morning and show them that you enjoy doing it. You will see they will also ask for it. Handle them brush with fluoride toothpaste on it and show them how to put in mouth.
You can also try electric brushes available in market as it may fascinate your kid.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

WebMD doesn't document EMG for diagnosing TMD
Why are WebMD's informational articles on TMD a couple of years old and don't even mention EMG? Even wikipedia calls it the most reliable ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website