Skip to content
Facial Swelling after Wisdom Teeth Extraction
An_253152 posted:
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted about four days ago and all of them were impacted. The procedure went fine and I was told that there were no complications.

However, I am starting to get a bit concerned over the facial swelling I'm experiencing. My right cheek is considerably more swollen than my left and feels hard, yet tender, when I press gently on it. I'm also not able to open my mouth any wider than to fit a baby spoon in. Needless to say, I'm not able to eat any sort of solid foods yet, as the swelling is so severe that I cannot bite down to chew on anything and I am unable to fit a toothbrush in my mouth, though I am continuing to use salt water rinses several times a day. I've tried everything from cold/warm compresses, homeopathic anti-inflammation treatments, and the ibuprofen my oral surgeon gave me doesn't seem to be helping with the swelling either. At this point I can't tell if it's an allergic reaction to the penicillin I was given (both my younger sister and maternal grandmother are highly allergic) even though I've never had a reaction to it before, or if I have some jaw/nerve damage. I've taken pictures of the swelling over the last few days and I am willing to post them if it will help at all.

Any information you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website