Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Painful Irritated Tongue
Apirillo posted:
Hello all. So on Saturday night I went out with some friends and drank some alcohol, the next day (10/20/13) I was unable to keep anything down, not even water. I ended up throwing up probably about 5 times throughout the day.

I started to notice a painful sensation on my tongue about half way through the day. At first, I figured it was from the stomach acid so I brushed my teeth real good and even rinsed it out with plain water, this made my tongue burn. Every time I would swallow, or even move my tongue, it would burn.

Well it's now been 3 days since my upset stomach, and I was thinking it was going away, which it had felt somewhat better on Monday, and much better yesterday, but today it is burning again, so I.decided I'd get done advice.

After looking at my tongue closely this evening with a bright light, I noticed some swollen papillae towards the back of my tongue. The back of my tongue also seems swollen as it was difficult to even see the back of it.

Im sure that it's just from the stomach acid and will get better, but after reading about stomach cancer and some other more severe diagnoses, it hit me worried.

Oh also, I was a smoker, until this whole thing, now today I am going on 3 days with no cigarettes .

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website