Includes Expert Content
2 weeks post lower left molar extraction
nic14120 posted:
I had my molar extracted. It was intense and took 45 min. He had to break it in pieces and use a lot of force. He said I bled a lot, so he sewed me up. The visit before be spoke of doing a collagen filler to maintain bone height. It didn't seem like he did one, because he didn't seem to be doing anything more after he extracted it. The area seems to be healing fine, except 1) it seems to be sunken in on the side closest to the cheek and dips down in the middle. I called my insurance and they said it was only billed for an extraction and X-ray:( I will be devistated to have to re open this area to do a grafting that I thought was done! 2) I was worried about a tooth fragment bc on the top of the gum, off to the side a bit, it protrudes out and looks whitish from it pressing on the gum. The nurse said a fragment would hurt, this really does not. I read it could be the bone. If it is in fact bone, is it safe to leave it be until the 18th when I have my cleaning set up? I had an appt for mon that I cancers because I'm so traumatized, I don't want him poking the area while its still closing over and healing! Thank you!

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear nic: I do understand your concern, and I also understand your trauma. However, I do not understand what it is that you were asking. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to give you any sort of diagnosis from the description that you gave. The best thing to do, is to go back to the doctor and have a nice talk. The doctor is interested in your well-being as well. Make sure that he explains everything to you. Most times, if the extraction is carefully done, a bone graft is unnecessary. I am so sorry that this is all that I can give you. Best of luck, Dr. Zev Kaufman