Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Any chance I can avoid a root canal?
yayitsck posted:
I recently had one of my teeth prepared for a crown. It's been over a week since I got the temporary crown, but the throbbing pain will not go away without constant doses of Advil. I stopped in to visit the dentist and he took a look under the temporary crown and seemed perplexed that I would be in so much pain because he believed there is enough tooth remaining and that the nerve should eventually calm down. He gave it a steroid and medicinal treatment and told me to wait a couple of days. It's 48 hours later and the pain continues. I really want to avoid a root canal. Is there any possibility that I could wait this out in the hopes that the nerve relaxes on its own, or am I BSing myself?

plazadental responded:
The condition you stated is normal while having teeth prepared for a crown ; there are chances that bacteria entered into the canals and that is what causes the discomfort that you have experiencing. If the tooth is starting to bother you... don't wait to have it treated. I assure you; you might be happier with your own tooth restored.

yayitsck replied to plazadental's response:
The root was badly enflamed and would not calm down, so my Endodonist did the root canal, and my dentist finished the crown. All's well now.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website