Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain/numb 7 days after root canal
bridgette2009 posted:
I had a root canal, on an upper right molar, done 7 days ago. The initial procedure took about 2 1/2 hours, during which time I had several incidence of nerve pain. At that time only 2 roots could be found. I returned two days later, for another 2 hours, during which time, the third root was found and the first two were packed. During the second procedure I again felt extreme pain twice. The following day was painful, but tolerable. That night I woke up with such severe pain I considered ER treatment; pain shooting into my ear, glands and eye. The pain continued into the next day. At that time I had an emergency appointment with an endodontist; he said everything looked fine on the xray, put me on clindamycin and gave me 600mg Motrin q4h. That keeps the pain at bay. I still have numbness and tingling along with ear pain on the right side of my face. I am suppose to follow up tomorrow for filling of the last canal, but am hesitant due to the continued issues from the first two visits. Is this normal?? Should I seen an ENT or neurologist? Help!

JeffDent responded:
The pain during the root canal is likely because it is difficult to get an upper molar fully numb especially if it was irritated before the root canal. After a root canal pain can often persist because the areas around the tooth are disturbed an can become inflamed. Although uncommon , this pain can refer to your ear. Another possible reason is that sometimes when giving anesthesia the nerve can become aggravated (this is also not very common) and give pain and numbness. These symptoms can take weeks to resolve so I would report to your dentist with your symptoms and see what he recommends. You can see a neurologist if you're feeling super anxious but I would probably give it a little more time if its not too painful to handle. Hope that helps.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website