Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Broken tooth with exposed nerve
christilee01 posted:
Last night while eating dinner, I felt the worst pain in my life biting into a soft bite of steak. I have had issues with a tooth breaking around an old filling, but has never caused this much pain. Of course it is Sunday and dental care is not cheap. Last time I had it looked at, it was going to cost me 700 dollars above my insurance cost. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain until I can afford the dental care?

atti_editor responded:
Hi christilee01,

I know that dental care can be expensive, but it is important that you have this looked at and fixed by a dentist, if you haven't already. Leaving the tooth (and it sounds like maybe the root) exposed can lead to more damage, infection, and possibly losing the tooth, which could end up costing you more. This article has some treatment options that might help while you wait to see a dentist -- including pain relievers and avoiding chewing near the broken tooth. I know that when I had a broken tooth with nerves exposed it helped to avoid eating anything that was cold or hot as it aggravated the nerve and worsened the pain. I hope that you are not in too much pain and that you are able to get care soon

Best wishes,
Atti

steffanymohan responded:
If your chipped tooth has a sharp edge or an exposed nerve you can put wax on this spot to pack it down or cover the edge to keep from cutting your mouth. When you fix a broken tooth like this, you can ensure that you will do no damage to your tongue or gums while waiting to see your dentist.
Remember to rinse your mouth with warm salt water before you fix your broken tooth.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website