Skip to content
Antibiotics and yellow teeth
An_256242 posted:
Hi, was hoping someone could give me some advice. My daughter was born with an extra ureter and an extra chamber in one of her kidneys. She was put on an antibiotic for reflux of urine from the time she was a couple months old until she was almost 3 years old until she had her reconstruction surgery. What i need to know is if the antibiotics she was prescribed could have discolored her permanent teeth. We religiously brush her teeth everyday but there is still a slight yellow tint to her teeth. Could the antibiotics have damaged her tooth enamel? No matter how much we brush them there is still a yellow tint...anyone else experience this? Her baby teeth and her permanent teeth came in this way.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

Here is some information that I found on medications that can cause tooth discoloration from this article :

"Medications . The antibiotics tetracycline and doxycycline are known to discolor teeth when given to children whose teeth are still developing (before the age of . Mouth rinses and washes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride can also stain teeth. Antihistamines (like Benadryl ), antipsychotic drugs, and drugs for high blood pressure also cause teeth discoloration."

I don't know what medications your daughter was on, but if these do not apply, you might ask your doctor if the medications she was taking have this known side effect.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website