Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Molar extraction with bone left behind
mikatsu posted:
6 months ago I had a molar extracted and the dentist left part of the bone in, "in case I wanted to have an implant in the future." I heard about this too late to question. I still cannot chew on that side and my regular dentist says x-ray shows it is healing very slowly. Is this a normal procedure? And a normal healing time?

atti_editor responded:
Hi mikatsu,

How are you doing now? Are you able to eat more solid foods? When your dentist took the x-rays did he/she seem concerned about your healing rate? It might be a good idea to speak with your dentist about ways you may be able to speed up the healing process and how long you can expect your gums to take to fully heal. I am sorry that you are still in pain, and I hope that you are able to eat normally soon!

Best wishes,
Atti

mskp1234 responded:
was it normal

mikatsu responded:
Thanks for the reply. As it's now been over 6 months and it was a simple extraction, is the fact that the dentist left the furcal bone in, causing it to take this long to heal? As I did not plan to have an implant, is it 'normal' for the dentist to leave that behind to facilitate a possible implant in the future?

atti_editor replied to mikatsu's response:
I'm not sure if leaving the bone would be considered normal, but I would definitely speak with your dentist to see what he/she would recommend you do or prescribe for further treatment.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website