Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
bitten lip after novacaine
mrsgmom posted:
My 6 year old son just got home from the dentist getting a filling, where he received novacaine. My husband did not tell me that he was given cotton to keep him from biting his lip.. until it was too late. I looked over at him and his lip was bleeding, and I noticed that it looks like he has a chunk missing - yes, a chunk. He is still swollen (novacaine was done 4 hours ago) but I am wondering what I should do to (a) help keep it clean so it can heal and (b) help alleviate pain when the numbness wears off. Please help!

atti_editor responded:
Hi mrsgmom,

How is your son doing? I hope that his lip is healing well.

Best wishes,
Atti

steffanymohan responded:
Accidental lip biting can also occur during post-operative eating or sleeping. It is advisable to contact a primary care physician or nurse practitioner to seek medical advice and treatment.
How is your son doing now?

mrsgmom replied to steffanymohan's response:
All is well - he healed just fine, despite how awful it looked. But I don't think he will be doing that again anytime soon!

atti_editor replied to mrsgmom's response:
Glad to hear he healed well!

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website